ADASJAN'S LOVE

~~ADASJAN'S LOVE...NATURAL CARE FOR YOUR ESSENTIAL PARTS...COMING SOON~~

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Dry Scalp Woes

Crew,

What it look like?

I hope all is well with each of you beautiful people. All is well with me except a minor scalp woe. It seems that every year this same exact time I am plagued by non stop dry scalp. My scalp feels tight and dry as does the rest of my skin. On a daily basis I drink a gallon of water and have done this for many years. I bathe in luke warm water in efforts to preserve the sexy and as most folks, make a ritual of slathering all of my almond brownness in shea butter from top to bottom.

My poor scalp though needed something extra though. I found myself at my local Davids searching for something to ease up this scalp of mine. While pa rousing one of the aisles a consultant there asked why I had this disturbed look on my face. I explained to her that I was turning into a dragon, hence the tough scales developing on my hair line. she looked and prodded all this done without asking if she could put her hands in my Fro'. It was ok though I didn't mind, she was cool as all get out.

Come to find out she was a chemist! My gosh talk about Luck, I felt as if I walked in on my fairy chemist god mother. We talked and talked for what seemed like hours. So I am at this point taking notes as she is pouring out the secrets of the skin and hair god's. She walks me over to a product called Na-PCA

Per the package, " Na-PCA is a Ph-balanced, concentrated solution of the sodium salt of pyrrolidone carboxylic acid, the natural moisturizing factor found in human skin.."

Ingredients: " Purified water, Na-PCA ( the sodium salt of Pyrrolidone carboxylic acid), eucalyptus, ethanol, monolaurin ( the Principal antimicrobial factor found in mother's milk).

In essence this thing is a humectant. I told her the issues us natural haired black beauties have with humectants in the winter time.Get this ya'll she already knew it and finished my sentence for me!!! Either way she explained not to spray it on my hair and on my scalp instead. This made sense to me.

As soon as I got home I went ahead ans sprayed away on my scalp. It has a very soft scent. I rubbed it into my scalp and covered it with a plastic cap.

Now - Me being myself decided to take it up a notch. At this time I declared war on my scalp. I refuse to walk around with dragon scales on my hairline!

I dug back in my mental archives and remembered Moe's hair growth oil that was all the rave. I took part in the challenge, now I didn't see any drastic growth from it as many have but, but my scalp felt moisturized and wonderful. Personally I am comforted when I touch my scalp and see a bit of oil on it. Blame it on my father who said that was a sign of good being. Every week he oiled my scalp with an all vegan all natural hair oil.

Moe's hair recipe calls for Jojoba oil as the base. Instead I used extra virgin coconut oil. My version of this recipe is as follows

2 cups of coconut oil

3 tablespoons of dried horsetail herbs

4 ounces of Aloe gel

10 drops of peppermint oil

I used a double boiler, for those who believe in hood ingenuity all you need is a glass jar and a pot big enough to put the glass jar in. Fill the pot with water about half way and put the jar in.

In the jar goes the coconut oil, herbs and the peppermint oil.I let it boil for about an hour on low heat.

Afterwords I strain it and then add the peppermint oil and aloe gel. This combination smells so good. The peppermint oil is not overbearing and is balanced out by the coconut oil scent. Crew, this stuff is a winner!!.

Ahhh, So after spraying the humectant on scalp I then put the oil mixture on my scalp and rub it in and massage my scalp.

Now while the dry scalp issue is still there as I'm sure it will be until the weather warms up again it has definitely lessened up quite a bit. I'll continue to do this every night.

Now Ladies, there is much talk of not clogging up the scalp and what not, but I am a firm believer in what works, works. Growing up I had my scalp oiled religiously and have done so with my children's hair. It was not until my older years that I've had this scalp issue and think that it may be due to the fact that I was not doing so. My apologies for not having any pics, but trust me it was horrific! She is doing so much better now.

Crew, do you notice that during certain winter months you may have scalp or hair issues? Please don't make me feel like I am alone. Tell me what they are and how you combat them

Adasjan's Love will be here soon!
Aye

4 comments:

  1. I don't get dry scalp too bad but my son is a mess!! He just turned 2 and I noticed that his scalp goes crazy when he needs a haircut. Now, I would have loved to keep his hair long and braided a while longer but I was disgusted with his scalp. Carrot oil works great if I remember to apply it daily and at night he brings me the jojoba oil :) He still has really soft hair that's got a little more texture than a newborn, so we go about 4 weeks between haircuts since it'll just curl up on us. But rest assured, this winter scalp nightmare is year-round for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. girl, be mindful if you sweat a lot because that will make it worse

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wanted to know if u wash the Na-PCA out or just leave it in and if u do leave it in have u had any problems with doing so.I was asking because I bought some Na-PCA on yesterday and the directions said to spary it on scalp, (or was it the hair?)rub it in then let it sit for 5 minutes and rinse it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @rj, girl I am so sorry for the late reply.. I guess I have no right to complain with what you have to go through with lil man.. but that concotion I threw up along with the other stuff is working wonders for my dragon scales .. what's ur due date?

    @ butterfly, I found this out alread lol

    @Epek-- Brother welcome!!! I don't wash it out I just leave it on there. I spray it on my scalp directly not my hair. Now when using this stuff I def recommend that you keep up with washing you hair weekly at least.. Build up is real lol. Well pleae forgive my tardiness and let me know how it goes for you we can compare notes!

    ReplyDelete